Skip to main content

Man in Overalls - It's Like Washing Your Dishes

I often hear folks joke, "Yeah, I had a garden once. I put in all this money & effort, and I only got a handful of tomatoes. Each one of them cost $27!" And they usually end by saying something about not having a green thumb.

My first tomatoes of the season
I smile and think about a mental model I've been working on: Growing your groceries is like washing your dishes.

While they're raving about how many plants they've killed, I'm thinking, "It's not your thumbs. I bet you don't have a sink. And if you do, are you using decent soap or that garbage from the dollar store? And did you mention you've never washed dishes before in your life? And you're surprised you broke a couple wine glasses with no more experience than a four-year-old?" My eyebrows furrow involuntarily belying my thoughts, "Really? That doesn't seem all that surprising to me." But, of course, not only would saying all that confuse people, it'd kill the moment, so I just smile some more, nod, and say something like "It's all about the soil."

But since we're not, actually, in the moment, let me explain.
~ ~ ~
When I was three or four, my mother started expecting me to carry my dishes from the table to the sink. When I was five or six, I was taught the basics and put into the dinner dish-washing cycle along with my sister & cousin. We had dish washing weeks, 7 days in a row, then on to the next kid. My development as a dish washer was a step-by step process:
Yes, that's me. Can't believe I found this picture!
For the first few days or weeks (I don't remember exactly), when it was my turn, my mother washed, and I rinsed. I was taught how to look for dishes that were still dirty and give them back to the washer. "Haha!" I'd exclaim. "That one's still dirty! It needs to be washed again," and back into the dishpan I'd put it. Then, in short order, now attuned to what clean looked like, my mother had me wash, and she rinsed. Not too long after that - perhaps some weeks or months later- she faded out as my regular dish washing friend but would return to help on days when- as a young child- I was too tired or overwhelmed.

For the first year or so, I was only responsible for the plates, bowls, and silverware. At some point, pots and pans were added to my responsibilities - all except the "big caste iron pot" along with occasional items needing to be soaked. When I was around 9 or 10, those too became my responsibilities along with wiping down the stove, and thus I learned what "elbow grease" was. When I was sixteen, I got a job washing dishes in Glacier National Park for a summer, but that's another story entirely.

These days, I no longer wash dishes professionally, but I do wash dishes daily without much thought to it, just like most adults. The majority of dishes I wash by hand because I err towards washing them as they're generated, but when we host a party or otherwise generate a big pile of dishes, I call in extra support in the form of our dishwasher or recruit my wife as a dish washing friend. Washing dishes is tedious at times, but, in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't take much time- or thought for that matter. It's just part of my routine. You could say it's second nature, a life-skill that I take for granted. I know what I'm doing; I have the tools & supplies to do the job, and backup should I really need it.

This is where you want to get to as a food gardener.

In the same vein as washing your dishes, to successfully grow your groceries, you need to develop your skills, cultivate habits, be well supplied, and have backup support should you need it. Let me share a few examples:

  • Like our parents teach us to wash dishes, find a garden friend to guide your food gardener development, someone who will help you pick a spot for your garden, assist you with getting started, of whom you can ask questions, and who will remind you about when it's time to replant and things like that. (If you'd like me to fill this role, don't hesitate to reach out. It's what I do.)
  • Just like I started learning to wash dishes by just washing plates, bowls, and silverware, begin your gardening education with a handful of seasonal crops that are relatively common and easy to grow-- maybe not 37 different types of obscure medicinal herbs from a seed catalog. Wrap your head around a few crops, then progress to the equivalent of pots and pans; for example you could try starting a type of heirloom tomato you saw at the farmers market from seed.
  • In the same way it's much easier to wash your dishes in a sink than outside in the hose, make sure you get started growing your groceries with the right infrastructure- like a raised bed - or at least in well-developed soil. (Not to belabor the point, but if you need help, give me a shout; helping people grow their groceries in raised bed food gardens is my specialty.)
  • Just as you invest in good soap, perhaps even environmentally friendly to boot-- invest in good soil along the lines of my Magic Mix, not "whatever was cheapest." You will thank yourself for the entirety of your gardening career. Trust me.
  • If you know that time is a commodity in short supply in your life, get the gardening equivalent of a dishwasher: automatic micro irrigation. (A convenience I offer all my gardeners).
  • Even experienced dishwashers break dishes from time to time, so don't judge yourself too harshly should you kill a few plants. Fall 2016, I killed every plant in my garden, but that's a story for another time.
  • To stay ahead of the dishes, you need routines: whether you wash as they are made or in day-end batches. Being regular with your weeding is the same: pulling them early and often as the below video demonstrates, means it'll take a few seconds of time instead of a few hours to pull the same weeds once they're bigger, bolder, and more established.


In the same way that you are probably competent as washer of dishes, you can become practiced as a grower of groceries. And, should you need backup, whether for a quick troubleshoot, a new "ready to plant" raised bed, Magic Mix topdressing, replanting assistance, monthly maintenance, or other support, I've got your back.

Granted, I know many of you reading this are not local to Jacksonville, and I'm exploring how I might could be a garden friend from afar to you as well. If you'd like to explore this with me, please shoot me an email, so we can develop the idea.

In closing let me just say: give your first season's tomatoes some slack. We certainly don't evaluate whether or not washing our dishes is "worth it" by adding up the costs of the sink, dishwasher, plumbing, soap, and sponges as well as all the broken dishes, but for whatever reason, this is how we do things as beginning gardeners. Yes, there are start up costs and a learning curve, but it gets better. Growing your groceries is worth it.

- - -
If I can support you by helping you choose a spot for your sink, running your plumbing, and coaching you on how to most efficiently wash your dishes, or rather...
If you'd like to support me...
in freely sharing my stories & expertise, please consider passing along this article to a friend or sharing on social media. Each of my articles take hours of resource gathering, writing, and editing, so I want to make sure they don't just sit on the digital shelf.

Respectfully,
Nathan Ballentine (Man in Overalls)
Itinerant Urban Farmer, Entrepreneur, Educator, Community Organizer
Growing in Jacksonville, FL. Connecting Globally.
(904) 240-9592
Email Man In Overalls at Gmail dot com
Man in Overalls on FB & IG
ManInOveralls.com
Blog - Services - Projects - Resources - About - Events


Most viewed Man in Overalls posts of all time

Why Can I Eat Bread in France, but not the USA?

Updated 10/31/2017 as the National Organic Standards Board meets in Jacksonville, FL. This may well be the most important thing you read this year for your health. (Originally written in 2015 while I was traveling-- and eating bread-- with my wife in France.) I've got a food riddle for you from Paris, France: Why can I eat bread over here when it makes me sick at home? I'll share my best guess in a minute, but first, a little personal background. Since my senior year of high school, I've not been able to eat much bread at all. For five years, I was severely hypoglycemic, and everything I ate had to have more protein than carbohydrates. That meant, in effect, that I spent my years of college beer-less and eating lots of salad with meat on top. I ate tons of vegetables, very little fruit, basically no carbohydrates to speak of, meat, nuts, eggs, and cheese. If I accidentally ate, say, meat loaf that was, unbeknownst to me, made with bread in it, I'd spend the n

Man in Overalls - The Valley of Food & Ag Startups: Warren Wilson College

If you're interested in tech, pay attention to Silicon Valley. If you're interested in food and agriculture, Swannnoa Valley, more specifically  Warren Wilson College , is the place to keep on your radar. Man in Overalls with (L to R) Mary Elizabeth, my wife and Rachel (Williamson) Perry, WW alum and herbal tea entrepreneuer I'm an alum and proud of it, class of 2008. I studied community organizing, wrote a 140 page thesis about social movements as my capstone. Nathan, as college Freshman on WW Electric Crew. (Look for the blue water bottle) It's a work college, one of seven in the country. Think universal work-study, so in addition to whatever one's academic track, students are also working in the cafeteria, the library, admissions, as carpenters, lock smiths, lab techs, and-- per the agricultural legacy of Warren Wilson-- as row crop, animal, and vegetable farmers, gardeners, and edible landscapers.  Personally, I worked on the electric crew a

Man in Overalls - Growing Great Soil

Good soil will basically grow your groceries for you, but how do you build great soil?  The answer is that there are two options:  a quick & easy way and a DIY, hard(er) way.  So we're on the same page, I'm continuing my  #GrowYourGroceries The Easy Way  series by digging into the how-tos of growing great soil. These stories and techniques will likely make the most sense after reading Geeking on Good Soil , my last update. (I outlined where I was headed in  The Big Picture.) As I was saying, the easy way to build a great soil is to fill raised beds with a terrific compost-based soil mix like my  Magic Mix  to jump start your food garden  productivity  from year one. From there, seasonally, you simply top-dress each season before planting with another few inches of compost-based soil mix. This is how I manage my own food garden and those of my customers.  Why? Because at the root of things, I'm a lazy food gardener, and long ago I decided to embrace it. 😎

Man In Overalls - My Compost System

Composting, they say, is an art form. But, truth be told, I'm just too lazy for all that. My own compost philosophy is, "Crap rots in the woods, doesn't it?" But really. :) Whenever I think of home gardening systems, I always reflect back on my grandmother. She gardened up until the week she died at 93. She planted by the signs and assured me that's why her collards were not eaten up by bugs and were able to grow for 3 years running and up to 8 or 9 feet tall. She had a little rototiller, planted straight rows, mulched by spreading leaves to keep the weeds down. She threw out a little 10-10-10 from time to time and kept the cabbage worms at bay with Sevin dust. She hoed if the weeds called for it. But mostly, she harvested. Her pots were always full and her freezer always stuffed with produce: collards, mustards, turnips, peas, tomato gravy, squash, you name it. Now, I don't use 10-10-10 or sevin dust, and I'm not big on tilling. However, the thi

Man in Overalls - Summer Garden Blues & What To Do

Welcome to mid summer in the Deep South! If you're anything like me, you're actively looking for excuses to avoid going outside this time of year. The heat doesn't so much radiate down from the sun as it seems to rise from the side walk. Rain helps- for about ten minutes- and then simply adds to the humidity as it vaporizes on the payment, so that it feels like you need a snorkel to make it from the house to the car, but of course, it only gets worse when you turn on the AC, and that first puff of hot air feels as though someone just wrapped your face in a plastic bag - not to mention that if you cut your grass yesterday, you're going to have to do it again... tomorrow. And, lets not even talk about how fast the weeds grow this time of year! Or the insects seem to multiply! Oh, home... :) Here's the good news: If your garden looks a little worse for wear, it's okay. Really. Mine does too. As much as I aim for- and largely achieve- a productive & beauti

Man in Overalls - How to Start a School Garden: Design

Before you get to build your school garden like this, before you can help kids get their hands dirty like this,  or teach kids in your school garden like this, there are a few things you've got to take care of first. The #1 most important thing you've got to do is build your team. I say- with no exaggeration-- that human infrastructure is THE most important aspect of developing a successful school garden. But, I already wrote about building your school garden team last time. Assuming you're on track with that, a simultaneous step is to begin developing your school garden design. Here are a few things to should consider as you develop a school garden design: Purpose In your school garden interest meeting, one of the first questions you should ask is: "Why are you interested in a school garden?" Interestingly, this question serves two purposes. First, it helps the team gel because there will likely be a lot of overlap in answers. This will

Man in Overalls - When to Plant Tomatoes

" Plant 'em in the spring. Eat 'em the summer. All winter without 'em's a culinary bummer ," as John Denver sings in "Home Grown Tomatoes."  So, just when should you plant* your homegrown tomatoes? Or, more generally, when should you plant your spring food garden? (For an abbreviated version of this post revised & published in Edible Northeast Florida, click here. ) Since tomatoes along with other spring favorites like squash, corn, green beans, cucumbers, peppers, and the like are "frost sensitive" (in other words, they'll die if it freezes), it's all about the "last frost date" for your area. Unless you're a weather savant and remember the last freeze for the past twenty years, you'll have to do some investigating. You could look up your Plant Hardiness Zone  on this cool "interactive" map from the USDA, and you'd learn that Jacksonville is in zone 9a, Tallahassee is in 8b, and At

Man in Overalls - An Ode to Collards (Now with my recipes)

I love growing my groceries in the fall - watching the miracle of growth, having ready-access to the freshest produce money-can't buy, the many flavors, getting to try new varieties - all while the temperature drops to more and more pleasant levels. I enjoy growing most anything in the fall, but, if I had to choose just one thing to grow every fall for the rest of my life, it would be collard greens, hands down.  It's a health thing and an effort-to-yield calculation, but in the beginning, the roots of my collard green passion were seeded by family. When I was a kid about 9 or 10, just a couple years into gardening in the front yard , my aunt, the family documentarian showed me a clipping of my late grandfather from the Graceville New (or was it the Jackson County Times?) beneath his 9ft collard greens that he had kept alive multiple years, growing them into small trees. Not to be outdone, my grandmother grew a collard forest of her own. Seizing the moment, my