Skip to main content

Man in Overalls - Fork in the Road

A month ago, I told stories from Florida Theater's stage: stories of family, stories of our backyard farm, stories of where we've been and where we're growing. In the month since then, even as we continue to support others to grow their groceries at home, team Overalls received 95 neighbors & community supports for our Farm (2) Raising, and, together, we built our 2nd "​unlimited urban uPick​" neighborhood farm. Farm Three is already in the works. It's an exciting moment to be wearing Overalls, so I want to share the backstory with you. 

Just below, you'll find the video, or if you'd prefer to read, look just scroll down.

- - -

- - -

My name is Nathan Ballentine. Folks know me simply as Man In Overalls


Last Sunday, I spot Charlotte, our 3-year-old neighbor, outside our kitchen window. She’s headed through the gate to our backyard farm. She stops at the mint, looks back over her shoulder to make sure no one is watching, and snags a piece. Next, she wanders over to pop a few cherry tomatoes. She turns, drops down, grabs something, and then, on a dime, bolts back to find my son, Malcolm on the saucer swing. They lay back together, and she reveals the bell pepper in her hand, which they share back and forth. – Yeah, yeah, I know, I bet your kids won’t eat vegetables either. 

- - -

My grandfather was buried in Overalls.

His children placed seed packets in his breast pocket

Before they planted him.


Emphysema earned

Like his calluses, 

From a one-mule plow.


I remember my mother,

dropping tears on his cold face,

She tells me “He never wore a suit.”

“Overalls everyday of his life. 

- - -

Growing up, my mother changed schools with the seasons. Though they had land, the family traveled as migrant farm workers because the cotton, corn, and peanuts didn’t cover the mortgage.

My mother raised me on stories of wearing cotton sack dresses in Graceville, FL, picking strawberries in Benton Harbor, Michigan, and sectionizing grapefruit down in Bartow.  “I grew up poor,” she’d say, “but I never went hungry, because of that garden, that farm.”

- - -

When I was eight, my mother helped me start a garden in the front yard. I grew this bug-eaten lettuce and woody carrots because I planted them in the wrong season, but it didn’t matter, I fell in love with the magic of growing groceries.

The next year I decided I only wanted to grow things I liked to eat, so I planted watermelon and sweet corn. I was going to do the same the next year, but my mom said, “Nathan, why don’t you grow some collard greens.”  – Because I don’t like them.  “But, Nathan, if you grew them, you’d like them.” No I wouldn’t. “Well, then, Nathan, would you at least grow a row for me?”  

So I grew the collards. I planted them, watered them, picked off the worms. When they got big, I harvested and helped my mom chop them up and throw ‘em in the pot.

When she served dinner that night, my mom dished up collards on everyone’s plate, except my own.  “Mom, you, you didn’t give me any collards.” Oh, but, Nathan,” she smiled, “you don’t like collards…”

So I ate my words that night.

- - -

I graduated from college in 2008 the last time banks were failing. I didn’t know how to fix the economy, but I did know how to grow food. And, I thought, if things get really crazy, we’ll need a lot more people knowing how to grow their groceries, so I decided I’d hang out my sign.

I knew how to garden, and I was good with numbers, but what was my marketing strategy?

While I was scratching my head, I remember sitting in a long line of traffic and seeing this homeless guy with a sign. I did some quick math. He was reaching 7000 cars a day. 

“I could do that,” I thought.

What if I made a sign that said, “Will Garden For Food”? 

But how could I improve the overall image? And then it hit me: grand daddy, pitchfork, American Gothic! Overalls, of course! I’ve got this!  But…. How will people describe me when they return home or get to the office? “‘Did you see that… ‘man in overalls’ on the side of the road?” Yeah, that’s it!

I made a bunch of big signs: “Grow Your Own Food and Share It,” one with a picture of Rosie the Riveter that said, “We Can Grow Food.”  Another that read “Honk for Food Gardens.” 


I staked out at the busiest corners – Honk! Honk! and the story caught on. I worked with families, churches, the city’s community garden program, built the demo garden at the Dept of Ag, and co-founded Tallahassee Food Network with a few community elders to foster an emergent food movement across lines of division.  Fun times.

- - -

Along the way, I met a group of young people who confided they wanted to start a farm. 

So, in the summer of 2012, I was running around town with a couple teenagers gathering supplies for our first garden beds. I was trying to tease out what we should be growing.  So, I asked Alexis and Tierra, “What kind of vegetables do y'all eat?” They conferred with one another and concluded, “Nah, we, we don’t really eat vegetables.  

O.K.

So that’s where we were starting.  We chatted a bit more, and I learned that, for them, greens and vegetables are actually in different categories. “Oh greens?! Yeah, I eat greens. My grandmother…. She’s got the best recipe!”

So, from the very beginning we started cooking with the young people. 

We learned real quick the importance of culturally relevant foods.  The first week, we cooked greens, which were a hit. The next week, we made pesto. All the kids agreed, “That’s just nasty.”  It didn’t matter that it was “healthy” or not if they were just going to throw it away…

So, we came up with a new system. The kids would decide the menu, and then we’d figure out how to make it healthy. Thursday, we’d make a run to the grocery store for a few baseline ingredients, and - Friday - the kids would combine the groceries with as many veggies as possible from the farm to stretch the dollars.

Fast forward a year. One Monday, the young folks left before we decided on a recipe, so when they showed up again Friday and asked, “What are we going to cook?” I said, “I don’t think we can cook today. We didn’t go grocery shopping, so there’s nothing to cook.” They looked at me like I was stupid and said, “Well, we could at least make a salad.” I laughed, “Yeah? I guess so.”

A few young people took the lead and made this incredible salad: lettuce, arugula, chopped kale, green onions, shredded carrots. They even made their signature homemade ranch dressing with fresh dill. 

At the end of the work day, everyone went through the line and filled a bowl, full of salad. And I swear, nobody said-a-word (these were hormonal teenagers!) nobody said-a-word for 5 whole minutes because they were gorging on salad. The first break of the silence was this young man, named Delawn. He jumped up and said, “Mmm, that’s some good salad, I gotta get me some more.” 

- - -

In 2014, I married a red-headed Jacksonville native, Mary Elizabeth Grant-Dooley who grew up at Fans and Stoves in Five Points. After a potluck wedding weekend in a giant warehouse near Golfair, we took off for 16 months to roam the western world. 


We worked a summer in Montana, took a road trip around the country, and did some language learning south of the border. In 2015, we flew to Europe.


We spent 3 weeks in the south of France eating wonderfully rich foods: bread and cheese, dried sausage, plenty of wine made down the street. Delicious. And, what’s more, I felt terrific! I lost weight. I was regular.

Then we went next door to Switzerland. And I ate the exact same thing. And I felt terrible. I was in the bathroom for days, and I thought, “Wait, what just happened!?” 

Come to find out, agricultural laws in the US and Switzerland are very similar because they both embrace free trade and minimal agricultural regulation. One thing they’re both doing is using RoundUp or glyphosate as a harvest aid on crops like wheat and sugar cane and oats.  When the crop is done growing but before the plant has fully dried out, farmers spray glyphosate to “accelerate desiccation” so they can harvest 2-3 weeks earlier, which does reduce the chances of late season rain or hail damage. So there’s a logic there. But… it means they’re spraying a chemical chelater on our food, binding up the nutrition not to mention inadvertently killing off our intestinal bacteria, which is, arguably, implicated in a  $200billion dollar public health lawsuit. If you’re counting, that’s 4x the Big Tobacco settlements. Ever wondered why everyone suddenly got allergic to wheat? Or why Monsanto sold itself off to Beyer, an overseas company? Anyway…

Back in the Atlanta airport, surrounded by our fellow Americans for the first time in months, it struck us how folks were huffing and puffing walking down the corridor. Blotchy, red-faced, swollen, big. I remember people my age struggling down a few stairs to the customs floor. And that’s when I realized: we are frogs in a pot of boiling water. This is not normal. Our cancer rates, diabetes, heart disease, our IBS, allergies, our size… It's not normal. We are lab rats in a food experiment gone wrong. 

We need a transformation of the American food system. A this big and multi-faceted demands a million simple solutions.

- - -


So let’s return to this past Sunday afternoon.  After Charlotte’s clandestine farm foray, I walk out on my back porch, and I notice my wife on the farm talking to her buddy Hilary from down the street. It’s Sunday afternoon grocery shopping time, so she’s here grabbing some spinach and kale. As I wander out to say hey, Rob and Robin show up to snag some collards. That’s when I notice Kathy with her grown daughter and grandbaby gathering a salad for dinner. Laureen stops in for some callaloo while on a call. Everyone is just grabbing what they need, saying hey, trading recipes, and heading on their way. Nobody is asking permission or “checking out.” A little Kingdom of Heaven moment.

But here’s the crazy thing. Come spend a day on the farm in Springfield, and, right quick, you’ll learn there’s nothing all that special about last Sunday. It’s like this everyday. See, neighbor members pay a monthly fee like Netflix and in exchange they can come pick whatever they want, whenever they please. We call it our unlimited urban uPick. 

15 years ago, before my co-workers and I began building a team of farmers in Overalls to grow and support others to grow groceries, I remember a dorm room conversation with friends where we dreamed, “What if we could make healthy food easier to get than junk food?”

I’m cautious to say it, but I think we've found a way to do just that. 

So, now we’re asking a new question.

Which is where you come in. See, we’re at a fork in the road. We can maintain the tiny little taste of heaven we’ve cultivated, or we can collect the seeds of wisdom we’ve learned and scatter them at scale. We’re dreaming about a network of neighborhood farms spanning the Deep South. 

I’ll be honest: that’s not really something we know how to do. But, some of y’all, here, tonight, know how to grow on that level. Not to mention, if we’re going to start another neighborhood farm or two– or a hundred of them- we’re going to need your help telling - no:  writing -  the ‘overall story’ as it were.

So let me ask you, where do we grow from here?

.

.

.

If you're ready to grow your groceries... Please, click here to see our services & book a consultation, so I can assess your site; we'll discuss design, answer your questions, talk #s, and get your project lined up. We offer turn-key raised bed food garden support services. Or, if you've already got a garden, but need a little seasonal support, click here. Then again, since this whole post was actually about Overalls Farm, click here to join our wait list or follow the Overalls Farm story on FB, IG, or TikTok.

If you'd like to support me...in freely sharing my stories & expertise, please consider passing along this article to a friend or sharing on social media. Each of my articles take at least a couple hours of resource gathering, writing, and editing, so I want to make sure they don't just sit on the digital shelf.

- - - 

Nathan, Man in Overalls & the rest of team Overalls

904.240.9592

ManInOveralls@Overalls.Life

ManInOveralls on FB & IG

www.Overalls.Life

Blog - Services - Resources - Events.

PS- If you don't already but would like to receive Man in Overalls' semi-monthly updates which contain stories and food gardening tips, click here to see former updates, and we'll add you to the list.


Most viewed Man in Overalls posts of all time

Why Can I Eat Bread in France, but not the USA?

Updated 10/31/2017 as the National Organic Standards Board meets in Jacksonville, FL. This may well be the most important thing you read this year for your health. (Originally written in 2015 while I was traveling-- and eating bread-- with my wife in France.) I've got a food riddle for you from Paris, France: Why can I eat bread over here when it makes me sick at home? I'll share my best guess in a minute, but first, a little personal background. Since my senior year of high school, I've not been able to eat much bread at all. For five years, I was severely hypoglycemic, and everything I ate had to have more protein than carbohydrates. That meant, in effect, that I spent my years of college beer-less and eating lots of salad with meat on top. I ate tons of vegetables, very little fruit, basically no carbohydrates to speak of, meat, nuts, eggs, and cheese. If I accidentally ate, say, meat loaf that was, unbeknownst to me, made with bread in it, I'd spend the n

Man in Overalls - It's Like Washing Your Dishes

I often hear folks joke, "Yeah, I had a garden once. I put in all this money & effort, and I only got a handful of tomatoes. Each one of them cost $27!" And they usually end by saying something about not having a green thumb. My first tomatoes of the season I smile and think about a mental model I've been working on: Growing your groceries is like washing your dishes. While they're raving about how many plants they've killed, I'm thinking, "It's not your thumbs. I bet you don't have a sink. And if you do, are you using decent soap or that garbage from the dollar store? And did you mention you've never washed dishes before in your life? And you're surprised you broke a couple wine glasses with no more experience than a four-year-old?" My eyebrows furrow involuntarily belying my thoughts, "Really? That doesn't seem all that surprising to me." But, of course, not only would saying all that confuse people, it&#

Man in Overalls - The Valley of Food & Ag Startups: Warren Wilson College

If you're interested in tech, pay attention to Silicon Valley. If you're interested in food and agriculture, Swannnoa Valley, more specifically  Warren Wilson College , is the place to keep on your radar. Man in Overalls with (L to R) Mary Elizabeth, my wife and Rachel (Williamson) Perry, WW alum and herbal tea entrepreneuer I'm an alum and proud of it, class of 2008. I studied community organizing, wrote a 140 page thesis about social movements as my capstone. Nathan, as college Freshman on WW Electric Crew. (Look for the blue water bottle) It's a work college, one of seven in the country. Think universal work-study, so in addition to whatever one's academic track, students are also working in the cafeteria, the library, admissions, as carpenters, lock smiths, lab techs, and-- per the agricultural legacy of Warren Wilson-- as row crop, animal, and vegetable farmers, gardeners, and edible landscapers.  Personally, I worked on the electric crew a

Man in Overalls - Growing Great Soil

Good soil will basically grow your groceries for you, but how do you build great soil?  The answer is that there are two options:  a quick & easy way and a DIY, hard(er) way.  So we're on the same page, I'm continuing my  #GrowYourGroceries The Easy Way  series by digging into the how-tos of growing great soil. These stories and techniques will likely make the most sense after reading Geeking on Good Soil , my last update. (I outlined where I was headed in  The Big Picture.) As I was saying, the easy way to build a great soil is to fill raised beds with a terrific compost-based soil mix like my  Magic Mix  to jump start your food garden  productivity  from year one. From there, seasonally, you simply top-dress each season before planting with another few inches of compost-based soil mix. This is how I manage my own food garden and those of my customers.  Why? Because at the root of things, I'm a lazy food gardener, and long ago I decided to embrace it. 😎

Man In Overalls - My Compost System

Composting, they say, is an art form. But, truth be told, I'm just too lazy for all that. My own compost philosophy is, "Crap rots in the woods, doesn't it?" But really. :) Whenever I think of home gardening systems, I always reflect back on my grandmother. She gardened up until the week she died at 93. She planted by the signs and assured me that's why her collards were not eaten up by bugs and were able to grow for 3 years running and up to 8 or 9 feet tall. She had a little rototiller, planted straight rows, mulched by spreading leaves to keep the weeds down. She threw out a little 10-10-10 from time to time and kept the cabbage worms at bay with Sevin dust. She hoed if the weeds called for it. But mostly, she harvested. Her pots were always full and her freezer always stuffed with produce: collards, mustards, turnips, peas, tomato gravy, squash, you name it. Now, I don't use 10-10-10 or sevin dust, and I'm not big on tilling. However, the thi

Man in Overalls - Summer Garden Blues & What To Do

Welcome to mid summer in the Deep South! If you're anything like me, you're actively looking for excuses to avoid going outside this time of year. The heat doesn't so much radiate down from the sun as it seems to rise from the side walk. Rain helps- for about ten minutes- and then simply adds to the humidity as it vaporizes on the payment, so that it feels like you need a snorkel to make it from the house to the car, but of course, it only gets worse when you turn on the AC, and that first puff of hot air feels as though someone just wrapped your face in a plastic bag - not to mention that if you cut your grass yesterday, you're going to have to do it again... tomorrow. And, lets not even talk about how fast the weeds grow this time of year! Or the insects seem to multiply! Oh, home... :) Here's the good news: If your garden looks a little worse for wear, it's okay. Really. Mine does too. As much as I aim for- and largely achieve- a productive & beauti

Man in Overalls - How to Start a School Garden: Design

Before you get to build your school garden like this, before you can help kids get their hands dirty like this,  or teach kids in your school garden like this, there are a few things you've got to take care of first. The #1 most important thing you've got to do is build your team. I say- with no exaggeration-- that human infrastructure is THE most important aspect of developing a successful school garden. But, I already wrote about building your school garden team last time. Assuming you're on track with that, a simultaneous step is to begin developing your school garden design. Here are a few things to should consider as you develop a school garden design: Purpose In your school garden interest meeting, one of the first questions you should ask is: "Why are you interested in a school garden?" Interestingly, this question serves two purposes. First, it helps the team gel because there will likely be a lot of overlap in answers. This will

Man in Overalls - When to Plant Tomatoes

" Plant 'em in the spring. Eat 'em the summer. All winter without 'em's a culinary bummer ," as John Denver sings in "Home Grown Tomatoes."  So, just when should you plant* your homegrown tomatoes? Or, more generally, when should you plant your spring food garden? (For an abbreviated version of this post revised & published in Edible Northeast Florida, click here. ) Since tomatoes along with other spring favorites like squash, corn, green beans, cucumbers, peppers, and the like are "frost sensitive" (in other words, they'll die if it freezes), it's all about the "last frost date" for your area. Unless you're a weather savant and remember the last freeze for the past twenty years, you'll have to do some investigating. You could look up your Plant Hardiness Zone  on this cool "interactive" map from the USDA, and you'd learn that Jacksonville is in zone 9a, Tallahassee is in 8b, and At

Man in Overalls - An Ode to Collards (Now with my recipes)

I love growing my groceries in the fall - watching the miracle of growth, having ready-access to the freshest produce money-can't buy, the many flavors, getting to try new varieties - all while the temperature drops to more and more pleasant levels. I enjoy growing most anything in the fall, but, if I had to choose just one thing to grow every fall for the rest of my life, it would be collard greens, hands down.  It's a health thing and an effort-to-yield calculation, but in the beginning, the roots of my collard green passion were seeded by family. When I was a kid about 9 or 10, just a couple years into gardening in the front yard , my aunt, the family documentarian showed me a clipping of my late grandfather from the Graceville New (or was it the Jackson County Times?) beneath his 9ft collard greens that he had kept alive multiple years, growing them into small trees. Not to be outdone, my grandmother grew a collard forest of her own. Seizing the moment, my